Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Quote of the week

 (butterfly garden on Singapore airport)

The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things–the beauty, the memory of our own past–are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshipers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited. Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as for inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness.”
C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory"

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Marja,

    If so the beauty betray us, and its just our longing and not its actual beauty then that longing should nake this beauty in every flower ...every books....every tunes we hear right?
    yes somtimes we gets into a spell faster coz of this longing , but not always...
    afterall the magic spells magic..who doesnt love it...
    a beautifu pic u have put ...
    have a gr8 day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I understand it says reader dais is that some things in life, like a flower or music triggers in us a recognitions of something higher, a paradise or something like that The emotion comes through us not from the flower. I know many people who don't feel any emotion at al by looking at a flower. When I hear the music of Andrea Bocelli I can get in extasy
    while someone I know doesn't like it at al. So we don't have to have that with all flowers or music only the ones who trigger something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Marja!I'm sorry I disappeared a bit. Hope u r doing fine. Been working on my blog again.Plz drop by.

    www.deepteshpoetry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. C. S. Lewis sure knew how to make his point about the living God without ever saying the name of God.

    The Beauty
    What we long for
    Our desire
    is to strive to be
    ever closer to
    The Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing quote!!

    All beauty that we see, that we sense is from within ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting quote and words too Marja....happy weekend my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marja,

    I came across your blog today. And, you have put up some beautiful pictures. I have been to NL but not New Zealand, and NL is beautiful. It is great to see you blog about New Zealand. Great philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting words and quote,dear Marja!I love your photo of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment