Kidscorner

Monday 3 September 2012

Binnendieze in 'sHertogenbosch

I've had a bad cold over the last week so no adventures. There is a lot in my archives about Holland though. One of the places we went to is
's-Hertogenbosch.
We had a boat trip with our friends on the Binnendieze. The Dieze is a side stream of the Dommel river. "Binnen" is the Dutch word for "inside".It applies to the streams inside the city walls of  's-Hertogenbosch. In 1318 a second wall was build around the city as the city grew very fast because of trading. Within these walls bridges and houses were build over the waterways and part of it became underground. The Binnendieze was used to dump waste from the brewers and dyers and it was also used as an open sewer till 1960.  After a big restoration the Binnendieze is now used for tourism and look at its beauty.

 
We walked past this street. A nice place for a coffee

The boats are ready for the trip

 
Even though these streams are in the middle of the city, you could hear a pin drop. You just heard the movement of the water. Very peaceful.......

.... and very pretty. It's like being in a different world.

Nice how the houses are build above the Binnendieze.

Sometimes the tunnels underneath the buildings are quite long and there are
also some dark sideways where a lot of bats live. 

It was a spectacular tour


9 comments:

  1. It truly does look like another world! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mooie foto's, dat moet ik ook eens doen zo'n boottochtje. Heb het wel een keertje in Amersfoort gedaan, heel verrassend om een stad vanaf het water te zien. Heel anders dan Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is really something different. What an interesting history too. I'm glad that it has been cleaned up. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! Like the reflections off the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marja! It has been a long absence, but things have been a bit hard: father 95, mother almost 91 doing radiotherapy, wife broke right elbow and I’m consuming some much needed holidays to take care of all this...

    Lovely place, wonderful tour!!

    As far as Blogtrotter Two is concerned, it seems nobody is interested in St. Kitts, so maybe I should try something else. Anyhow, enjoy and have a great week or better a vacation, if still available!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marja .. gosh - I'd love to do that trip .. thanks for whetting my appetite .. and giving us the tour ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fascinating town. I love the canals - so serene. Hope you feel better soon Marja.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your country is so beautiful. I once had a friend who was from Holland and married an American and stayed here to live. I have since lost touch with her but when I ran into you...well, I sometimes wonder where she is now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your country is so beautiful. I once had a friend who was from Holland and married an American and stayed here to live. I have since lost touch with her but when I ran into you...well, I sometimes wonder where she is now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!