Saturday, 4 May 2013

In memoriam

I am not blogging for a while as my thoughts are with my friends. My friends in Holland. A family who used to live in Christchurch lost their 19 year old son in such a heart breaking way. Last year we spend some wonderful time with them. My heart goes out to the family . I think about them. Especially today as my son turned 19 years old.
My thoughts go also out to a friend who has cancer and has just lost her brother in law.
Another friend lost her husband
I have no words. I just send them my love.
I hope one day they can find comfort in the following words. For long there will be only grief.

 

Death is Nothing at All

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
That, we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect.
Without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you.
For an interval.
Somewhere. Very near.
Just around the corner.

All is well.

Henry Scott Holland

14 comments:

  1. Hi Marja .. I am so sorry for each of the families - such devastating loss ... we just never know do we.

    Grief is so terrible to live with for the while ... but as the poem says - the interlude is there and we will meet again ...

    My heart felt thoughts to each and everyone ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is also 19. I can't bear to think what your friends must be going through. It's a lovely poem. My thoughts are with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marja, what terribly sad news, and the grief must be immense for this young man in his youth. The poem is beautiful, and I hope it brings you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat naar allemaal, soms zijn er tijden dat er alleen maar achter elkaar nare berichten zijn. Een kind verliezen is vreselijk dat verdriet raak je nooit meer kwijt. Wens je heel veel sterkte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in 2007 I had three very close members of my family pass all within 13 months of each other.

    You and the families are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of such sad events happening to your dear friends! It is especially shocking when life is ended in youth and I wish you and all of his loved ones strength. In my area a family of five were recently killed in a car accident. They were coming from church … a boy with a cake waiting at home to celebrate his fifth birthday, his baby sister, grandmother, mother and her sister-in-law. Thankfully few of us know when this gift of life will end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely poem and must bring comfort to those bereaved. As you say, there are no words. I have 3 sons and I remember breathing a sigh of relief when the last one got to be 18. I thought to myself 'at least they didn't die in childhood! I've got them through those hazardous years.' Then I opened a new book of worry - one which will last for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sad time for you and your friends. Yo have my sympathy. It is a beautiful poem too. I'm still grieving the loss of my brother 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wat een prachtig gedicht en ja...sterkte sterkte sterkte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no words...That´s so sad!My thoughts and prayers are with you and the families!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marja, my thoughts are with your friends and your own family.. Sending you a Cosmic Hug your way!

    Much Love Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear this. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear this. It's hard to console people at this juncture of life. Though with birth comes death, the lack of proper understanding of DEATH as the culmination of life, results in total fear of separation. I know the fear of death and the ensuing pain are insurmountable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear this!My thoughts and prayers with you and their families!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment