Kidscorner

Friday 3 December 2021

The Port Hills

 


The Port Hills

The lined faces of the Port Hills invite me
Slivers of light embrace me with soft arms
A cry of a black backed gull pierces the sky
and disperses the aloneness like mist

I proceed over the glowing hills covered with
strands of tussock combed to one side
The hills have turned their backs to the mundane
do not care about should and shouldn’t

The hills hold out a promise of harmony
leading me on a trail into a pocket of bush where
the leaves answer with a rustle to the whisper
of the wind, joined by the song of a Bell-bird

I rise above the shadow onto rocks, ancient heroes
who once withstood red hot tongues of a volcano
I reach the rim looking down and drink calmness
gazing at a carpet of Azure blue mirroring the hills.

I am but a speck in this spectacle of beauty
which moves me, coaches me, centers me
when life has thrown me off balance,
My spirit connected like a deep-rooted tree

19 comments:

  1. I like the last stanza as it actually sums up the whole poem.
    The Port Hills ,remnants of a volcano which has erupted millions of years ago, are your favorite spot as their beauty gives your life the necessary direction and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poem that makes me wish I could be there myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scenery. I like how you have combine the picture with your life and made it so meaningful especially the last four lines. We are all specks in this universe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful.... both poem and view...

    Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy twenty twenty two my friend.
    Love reading your poetry and looking at your photos, you are so talented in both fields.
    Take care my friend.
    Hugs Peggy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The imagery is as beautiful as a grass surrounded, bush embraced hill. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how absolutely wonderful! Your words led me along, delighted to follow them as you created your beautiful landscape for me. I felt all the wonder and deep peace it obviously brings you. The gorgeous photo is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way birds pierce the aloneness and thinking of beauty as a spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful description of your special place !

    ReplyDelete
  10. My two favorite things - hills and waterways. I could be happy in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your imagery expresses beautifully the mystic experience in the quiet parts of your world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. speck in this spectacle of beauty - Love that contemplation of the vastness and our own insignificance in the larger scheme of things

    ReplyDelete
  13. Azure blue is a most excellent colour. It does help connect one's spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "don't care about should or shouldn't". love that and I also like the personification of "ancient heroes". nicely written

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness! What an extraordinary poetic description of what surrounds you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Intriguing the way nature can be a healing and sobering balm when event in our lives go haywire

    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness! How well you described this harsh, but lovely landscape. I like how you compared the rocks to ancient heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your poem. It reminds me that the center of the Earth that I feel in the wilderness is always with me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the bit about ancient heroes too. It really drives home an almost mythic feel to the beauty of the place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!