Thursday, 11 October 2007

Treasure to share


I agree with Helen. The most beautiful things must be felt. Feeling good and being touched is basically important in life. I am often touched by my blogging friends. I also have a treasure box on this blog on which I collect beautiful writing, movies and music, which you can see and hear and which touch me in some way. So that's double up. Everything for the price of one. Typical Dutch.

I certainly like other pretty things but most have no pricetag connected to it. I enjoy beautiful scarfs, stones, driftwood, a beautiful necklace, pictures, shelves, flowers. Simply for the sake of being pretty. It's nice to sit on a pretty couch but that feeling wears of pretty quickly and the couch too. However I still love and enjoy the following words eventhough I already know them for a long time. They certainly belong in my treasure box.

What is success?

To laugh often and much
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children.
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends
To appreciate beauty
To find the best in others
To leave the world a bit better, whether
by a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition
To know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived
This is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 comments:

  1. Money can buy books,
    but no brains.
    Money can buy a bed,
    but no sleep.
    Money can buy medicine,
    but no health.
    Money can buy food,
    but no appetite.
    Money can buy amusement,
    but no happiness.
    Money can buy a house,
    but no home.
    Money can buy luxuries,
    but no culture.
    Money can buy a church pew,
    but no heaven.

    isn’t it wonderful,
    the best things in life are for free !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice poem again.Your post is really true.And I agree with Bert too!
    Have a nice day!Tomorrow we drive for one week to the Netherlands in the near from Alkmaar,North Sea!I hope to hear from you soon again!

    Steffi ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can make just one person smile each day for the rest of my life I'll feel I'll been a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have a treasure box here, Marja. One that I enjoy seeing and being a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one bert

    Have a nice trip Steff. Alkmaar is nice. Bert is one of my brothers, he lives in Holland.

    That's it Keith You're the man

    You're lovely Wynn (hope I spelled your name right)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the einstein quote on the right, how true is that? It reflects in this post also. Big fan of Helen Keller over here...
    I was told my son would never learn to read, maybe never speak clearly. I figure, if Helen Keller could do it, so could he. He's not even blind or deaf. (they thought he was autistic...oh brother...another story for another day...)
    Anyway, loving your blog, adding you to my web of friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment