Kidscorner

Friday 3 November 2023

Watching the carousel

Rommy at Poets and Storytellers United invited us to write about  "I couldn't have done it without you"

That was easy as I couldn't have done it without my husband
The man behind me is often quiet, which sometimes drives me crazy but mostly offers comfort He is a rock in the middle of storms

I polished an old poem up a little for this one




Watching the carousel 

He stands beside me
and opens the door
when I wish to explore 
and follow the sun
He plants red roses
which look up to me in beauty
in the garden of our house
which he turned into a home
He won’t decorate my ego
with bright streamers of words
but he will spread out a blanket
to care when it hurts

His silence stands out
when the carousel of life
makes me go into circles
and he just stands aside
watching others take the ride
And he shrugs his shoulders
at the energy in motion
at the mortals with masks
at this whirling world
whispering warnings
at the carousel going around
and around
and around
till the bell foretells
the ride is over
and a bit unwell I move back
in his shell of shelter
Marja Blom

I couldn't have done it without him

10 comments:

  1. Someone who will open the door when you need to explore and spread a blanket to care when it hurts is to be much treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure all spouses drive each other a bit crazy at times – but it's a wonderful thing to have also that lasting love in which we can depend on each other. I love your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fortunate to spend the years with someone who plants not only roses but also a sense of safety and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What he lacks he more than makes up in the sweetest of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poem is lovely, sweet. How comforting to know he is there for you in sickness and in health, I feel quite certain you are for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to enduring love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marja - you tell it like it is - like he is - the rock for you to lean against ... lovely read - thank you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're blessed, and brave to say it while he's still alive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!