Kidscorner

Friday 7 June 2024

A new song

Malagy invited us to write poetry or prose inspired by a quote from the last book we read. 

All the books I read lately were about refugees or had an element of it in it
The last book I picked up in a book barn was a poetry book.
Yes, again Poems about migration.

I believe in signs and recently started a course to teach ESOL to migrants and refugees. I look forward to it. I am a bit nervous as well, as English is my second language.










A new song

She lost 10 threads of hope
20 threads of peace
Her garment a dimming light
Her song sank like a sunset
They called her a refugee

Carried by a current
Where would she wash up?
Her mind, entangled in a spinning wheel
with a thousand threads
They called her a refugee

She caught remnants of another life
the tunes of her grandma left behind
a heavy sadness settled
She lost fibers of her woven fabric
They called her a refugee

One morning a new melody arose
spun from a daring sunset
Some took her by the hand
embraced her in a new land
They call her a friend


The Poetry book I found is called On the Move, poems about migration by Michael Rosen

Quote on the book

What you leave behind
Won't leave your mind
But home is where you find it
Home is where you find it

28 comments:

  1. Good quote, and the poem is both lovely and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written with real passion - wonderful - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. "where would she wash up... " ominous and real - I read Behrouz Boochani's book No friend but the mountains some time ago and it was really troubling. Your poem brings to mind all the lives lost on the boats crossing the mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen him He is a great poet as well. I haven't read the book but have seen the documentary about the detention camp in Australia

      Delete
  4. Marja, this a very tender rendering of your chosen sublect full of humanity. Your closing verse is masterful, which the rest of the poem sets up so well. Loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends. If we would only be more friendly to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes at least that's one thing we have control over :)

      Delete
  6. ...Marja, this is a lovely poem and many of us are losing threads of hope and threads of peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful opening stanza. Thanks for bringing a refugee to life in a world where they are mostly unseen as people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the progression, the promise this poem makes. So much truth in your poem and in the quote. I remember how hard it was to be a just-arrived immigrant. I was 16. I didn't know the language. The person who offered their time--to teach a much of us after their regular work--remains one of the people I admire the most.

    Do keep us posted. I can't wait to read about the good you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oh great Magaly I am happy about that. It is not that hard for me as I recently retired. So lots of time.

      Delete
  9. Finally, poor girl, someone to the rescue.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that last stanza - a new melody arose - lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm afraid, refugees and migrants have little to do with poetry. Their life is in a new place and unpredictable. Your last stanza, though, Marja,sounds optimistic: "What you leave behind/ Won't leave your mind' But home is where you find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but I did write it to make them visible. That stanza you mentioned is unfortunately not mine It's from a poetry book about migration

      Delete
  12. A fabulous image there. Your poetry reveals hopes for the fled

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the quote, and your writing is beautiful and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on starting a new course to teach English. I did that when I was at teacher's college. We taught migrants at night school. I was nervous but it was fun. Love your song.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Marja, this is another wonderful poem from you that awakens many feelings in me. You are a master at using words. It's also great that you have started a course to teach migrants and refugees English. I don't think you need to be nervous because English is your second language - that probably means you have more feeling for the people who are supposed to learn english, more knowledge of where the problems with this language can be found. And since I was able to get to know you personally, I am convinced that you are a good, sensitive teacher.
    Hugs, all the best and happy weekend, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/06/weltreise-2024-5-station-neuseeland.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to ask you if you read all the comments on my previous post that referred to your poem "Age, a work of art". So many of my blog friends were very enthusiastic about it - and that's no wonder! :-)
    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!