Kidscorner

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Returning home

For Weekly Scribblings #14:  Sanaa invites us “to write using the literary device ‘Pathetic Fallacy’.
I understand that you have to use  the weather for example to reflect the mood of the writing.
Hope I got that right.
I feel sorry for all the old people being lonely in this time (and other times) and what I love about writing is that I can direct my narrative poem and give it a happy end :)



photo by Jojie Alcantara
Found on pinterest
Isn't she gorgeous?!




Returning home

His life is like a spider web
A tango on silk threads
Suddenly shattered
As if a surge of wind smashed
his securely build empire
The winter sets in
his mood plunging below zero

One day he felt an urge to
unite with forgotten times
to return to his childhood home
The garden fence looks tired
Paint trying to hold onto
the wood but losing its grip
Shrubbery overgrown

In the shadow of the room
a worn warm-brown chair
carries his mother
 Her voice a soft serenade
Wrinkles like veins in autumn leaves
adorn her smile
Sparks appear in sunken eyes

the room lights up as if the sun
just climbed over the clouds
stretching arms in victory
His hands fold like petals around hers
Warmness surges into his soul
as if she has nourished
him once again


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful !
    That's a very moving story about return to childhood home, and reunion with Mother.
    Home looks 'tired':Mother, has wrinkles, sunken eyes, but her soft voice and his embrace of her, fill him up with warmth.
    The woman in the picture could definitely be that mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poem, Marja, so delicately written. I especially love the phrases ‘tango on silk threads’ and ‘The garden fence looks tired’. I also like the way the alliteration in ‘worn warm-brown chair’ conveys the weariness of age, as does the simile ‘Wrinkles like veins in autumn leaves’. The sudden lighting of the room with sunshine is heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to be back to our roots and feel again the nourishment and shade of the tree that was always there for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is beautiful said "back to our roots and nourishment and shade of the tree"

      Delete
  4. This is beautifully evocative, Marja!😍 Especially love; "His hands fold like petals around hers/Warmness surges into his soul as if she has nourished him once again." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem, and a lovely image to go with it
    Happy Wednesday Vandana

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming home to Mom, to an old, familiar place - what a heart-warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even the old can still nourish us in secret, hidden ways. Their wisdom is the best of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and we should therefore respect the elders more :)

      Delete
  8. I wasn't sure where you were taking us, Marja. I was surprised that it wasnt with other people. If I were to become a widower I would want to live in an assisted living residence. If and I'm hoping I can afford to go. The COVID 19 may change my mind as it had hit the senior residences extra hard hear.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh might be a cultural difference Jim:)My 88 year mum for one lives still in her house and wouldn't want to go to a residence as long as she hasn't too.

      Delete
  9. A wonderful imagery given to us. You've drawn me in as I imagine myself in a visit to my grandmother long ago. Thank you for handing me this thought.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!