Kidscorner

Friday 18 January 2019

Impressions from a trip through the South Island of New Zealand



We traveled this summer for 10 days through the South Island of New Zealand. Just some random impressions of our stunning country which I so enjoy.
My heart is however full of sadness as well as my favourite poet has passed away
Thanks Mary for your wisdom and beauty RIP

Morning Poem 

by Mary Oliver 

Every morning
the world
is created.
Under the orange
sticks of the sun
the heaped
ashes of the night
turn into leaves again
and fasten themselves to the high branches—
and the ponds appear
like black cloth
on which are painted islands
of summer lilies.
If it is your nature
to be happy
you will swim away along the soft trails
for hours, your imagination
alighting everywhere.
And if your spirit
carries within it
the thorn
that is heavier than lead—
if it's all you can do
to keep on trudging—
there is still
somewhere deep within you
a beast shouting that the earth
is exactly what it wanted—
each pond with its blazing lilies
is a prayer heard and answered
lavishly,
every morning,
whether or not
you have ever dared to be happy,
whether or not
you have ever dared to pray.



A lonely tree standing rock steady at Doubtful Sound


Mount Cook towering above its shedded tears


The Lindis Pass where mountains ruffle and rumple over earths crust


Near Punakaiki  a fly hovering placidly above, the ocean clashing with the rocks 


The sound of lapping water, the soothing sight of the Hawea river and the bush


The tree whispers in the wind in the water at Lake Wanaka


Lake Dunstan basking in beauty

14 comments:

  1. So nice to see you back, Marja, and with scenes of your world so fitting of Mary’s lyrical melding of spirit and nature. She was, indeed, married to amazement.

    After reading from her Bone poem (below), I wondered if now she knows:

    ....

    lest we would sift it down
    into fractions, and facts
    certainties
    and what the soul is, also
    I believe I will never quite know.
    Though I play at the edges of knowing,
    truly I know
    our part is not knowing,
    but looking, and touching, and loving,
    which is the way I walked on,
    softly,
    through the pale-pink morning light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment and for another beauty of Mary's hand and mind, I didn't even know

      Delete
  2. Hey Marja lovely to see a new post from you.
    What spectacular photos of your stunning country, you are blessed to be surrounded by such beauty.

    It was a very sad day on 17 January when Mary Oliver left this world. Her poems take your breath away and dare us to live a bold life.

    Here is a quote from Mary:
    “Hello, sun in my face. Hello you who made the morning and spread it over the fields. Watch, now, how I start the day in happiness, in kindness.” ~ Mary Oliver

    Keep shining dear friend.
    Peggy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy We do live in a beautiful country and yes it is sad as she was an amazing poet Thank so much for the beautiful quote

      Delete
  3. The picture of the lonely tree on the rock is magnetizing!
    Thanks for sharing the lovely poem by Mary Oliver.
    I like the idea conveyed by it that the things created in Nature, are exactly what the earth wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duta and Yes I like that idea too

      Delete
  4. At last here I am, I read your post already a few days ago but did not yet comment. I scrolled the pictures again and again, I love New Zealand. We were there 20 years ago.....so it is so nice to see your photos, Mount Cook, Lake Wanaka, Doubtful Sound.....it brings me back to sweet memories.
    Also beautiful morning poem of Mary Oliver, sad to hear of her death. She is sometimes compared with Emily Dickenson.
    Regards from Holland, we suddenly got a frost period, so Hellebore plants lay flat on the ground by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no They were just a bit too early I have there is a lot of snow now in Holland

      Delete
  5. Yes NZ is such a beautiful country Great you have been there. Oh what a shame I was already worried that these flowers wouldn't survive

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to hear about your favourite poet. Hopefully you have many of her poems which will live on forever. Fabulous photos of your beautiful country. WE had booked to visit the North Island in Early February but I had to cancel since I broke my ankle. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashame but now something to look forward too till next year

      Delete
  7. Wat een prachtig land is Nieuw Zeeland toch, ben er helaas niet naar toe geweest, stond wel op mijn verlanglijstje, maar de prijzen zijn erg gestegen en qua gezondheid durven we zo'n lange reis niet meer aan. Die vierde foto lijkt net een springend konijn of haas die van de ene naar de andere rots springt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your images, Marja! They are photos that I would take :) The poem is beautiful. Sorry about your poet friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!