Kidscorner

Tuesday 3 November 2020

Surrender

 

Prompt The eye of the hurricane for Poets and Storytellers United

I consider myself a spiritual person, especially in nature I have some spiritual moments. I asked the universe recently: “How can I become more spiritual”? Soon after I had some spare time and some unread stuff on my kindle. The first book I read was all about surrender.  The writer tells his life story and accepts everything coming in his life and deals with it good or bad. The next book I read talked in a slightly different way about surrender. They seem to use it at AA meetings. Sometimes you are not able to get things under control as it is too hard, then leave it and surrender to God, the universe, divine love or whatever name you choose and just ask for help. That was a book from Oriah Mountain Dreamer. I bought it as I love her poem.
In an article on the internet I again bumped into a paragraph about surrender, to just let things go.

Now that must have been a sign There was my answer. Nothing harder than give up control though
😊
So I had to write a poem about surrender and wove the eye of the hurricane in there.



Surrender

I cannot help but stop
look at the moonlit sky
vaulted roof of the earth
holder of golden stars

I return to the same space
on life’s spiral stair case
I drift in dreams, a cluster of clouds
opening to the cosmos around

The light trickles through
I remain untouched
Till I hear music
a celestial echo

springing from my soul
The infinite opens inside
A beam of light to guide
For years I tried to ride

the skies to find warmer climes
as a seed on the breath of a breeze
Now it all seems futile
I surrender to the wind

go with the soft summer air
look in the eye of a hurricane
come sun, come rain
I surrender to the divine

let it fill the empty room
where I become a tool
of the great mechanic
who leads me where I need to be


18 comments:

  1. I'm for surrender - to God/the universe. Everything else is futile. Praying to God, asking Him for guidance is of great help. God is "the great mechanic" in your lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your poem and the background notes, Marja, you did well to surrender to the sign, and I’m sorry for the surrender of your colleague to natural forces.
    I love the phrase ‘unremembered sky’, which expresses the awe we have for something we can’t touch or understand, and the lines:
    ‘…to find warmer climes
    as a seed on the breath of a breeze
    Now it all seems futile
    I surrender to the wind’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both approaches to surrender are wise and powerful, I think. Your poem says it in a very lovely way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no doubt about it; we all need the reassurance of belief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Now it all seems futile
    I surrender to the wind"

    We're all right there with you, M. Fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the universe nudges you that hard, yep it's a good idea to at least consider surrunder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poem is satisfying on so many levels .. the clear message it sends, the wisdom it imparts, the kind of person you are. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poem of surrender is so poignant in these pandemic days.
    Thanks for the hyperlink to the other poem also.

    Much💙love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the letting go is difficult, but necessary to getting where you're meant to be. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marja, it is sooo nice to see you posting here with the group. It hurts one's pride, "I can do it myself" attitude, to surrender asking for help. I lose things ands it used to drive me buggy. Then on day, I surrendered this problem to God. His answer to me was turn the loss over to Him and he would take care. I do that now, ands the 'bothered' part of losing things has gone away. Mrs. Jim and I spent a whole day in Christchurch a couple of years ago, it is a beautiful town and surrounding. My grandmother's maiden name was Fletcher, you have a large construction company there with that name. Her ancestors came to the U.S. from England shortly after the first pilgrims. Moses Fletcher, a cousin of the ancestors had come shortly before on the Mayflower ship.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Acceptance is the beginning of healing and moving forward. It's not an easy thing to do, but the universe knows that it's like breathing again... after air has been denied. I believe in the idea of surrender. We can rarely control life's river... but if we stop fighting it, we can succeed in affecting our course. Very powerful, Marja.

    I hope your friend's soul finds rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wise words Marja.
    Sometimes it is hard to let go of things we cannot change, but move forward me must, for the sake of our sanity.
    I hope your friend's soul finds rest too.
    Much love sent to you.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes surrendering is the only sane way to go. This poem is written beautifully, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I consider myself a spiritual person, especially in nature I have some spiritual moments.

    I like to think of myself as a strictly rational person. I've lived around religious people so much that I have developed a very bad opinion of many of them. My issue is that I also consider myself spiritual in the sense that I can't discount the possibility that something might exist outside of human abilities to conceive or understand.

    The easiest analogy is that we might be bacteria to other more complex beings who look upon us with equal interest that we give microbiological lifeforms.

    Till I hear music
    a celestial echo

    springing from my soul
    The infinite opens inside


    Despite my rational beliefs, I can't help but look at the Milky Way at night and not feel there is something looking back at me.

    Great poem, it really got me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Marja - what an appropriate poem for today - as well as your approach to your Surrender ... I loved the poem, as too your thoughts - we cannot worry about what's going on - it happens, we can only do what we can for ourselves, family and those near us as life progresses. I feel for Greg and his family ... as too his friends adjusting to life without him - so many are losing their lives - life is short enough already ... let's hope people realise the fragileness of life and what we have as humans on this planet. Take care and all the very best to you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to read about your colleague's passing Marja... Yes, acceptance, surrendering to what IS.. Many of us forget how fragile life is, and how in a blink of an eye all things can change...
    We so need to live in the now of moments.. As we give thanks for the gifts we so often take for granted... And its not until they are taken that we realise the freedoms we had.. or the people whom we took for granted ..
    Sending love and Blessings dear Marja... Have a beautiful Holiday Season my friend.. Thank you for your visit... Was lovely to see you.. Stay well and stay Blessed my friend.
    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!