Kidscorner

Friday, 3 July 2026

Soliloquy of the Sky

Poets and Storytellers asked us to be inspired by a painting. 

The local poetry group asked us to write to the prompt 
soliloquy


Repose by John White Alexander












Soliloquy of the Sky

I am mesmerised by this painting
and offer a soliloquy.
Who is this lady
waking from her state of repose,
hovering between stillness
and the beginning of thought?

A quiet tremble rises in me,
like dusk rearranging its colours.
Her white dress curves and folds
as if shaped by a slow-moving wind,
a gesture of the world
learning how to breathe.

She seems half-aware
of the painter’s patient strokes,
as though she senses herself
becoming an idea,
a soft floret opening
into the mind of the viewer.

What does it mean
to present yourself to the world,
as a question?
A golden offering, yes,
but also a pause
between one thought and the next.

A whole world will unfurl in her mind.
She will feel like the sky,
holding the drifting stories of clouds.
She will feel like the moon,
choosing which parts of herself
to illuminate.
She will feel like the sun,
sending out quiet certainties
to anyone willing to receive them.

And I wonder
if I could be that kind of woman,
one who intoxicates not with beauty
but with presence,
drawing people closer
to the stars they carry within.

17 comments:

  1. I love the delicate and fluid flow of language and thought - giving a voice to the woman and the painter too - your words also draw us in wonderfully too - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful ideas and beautiful language. I have always enjoyed your poetry, Marja, but in recent months it seems to have taken a quantum leap in skill and art, and an apparent ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosemary Things come easier I am retired now so I have more practice and I am also more relaxed I guess

      Delete
  3. What does it mean
    to present yourself to the world,
    as a question?
    I wonder if you will wonder about this after spending only 30 minutes in the tin-tok, Insta or any such platform

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha good question and you already know the answer

      Delete
  4. Being a father
    Is quite a bother.

    You are free as air
    With time to spare,

    You’re a fiscal rocket
    With change in your pocket,

    And then one morn
    A child is born.

    Your life has been runcible,
    Irresponsible,

    Like an arrow or javelin
    You’ve been constantly travelin,

    But mostly, I daresay,
    Without a chaise percée,

    To which by comparison
    Nothing’s embarison.

    But all children matures,
    Maybe even yours.

    You improve them mentally
    And straighten them dentally.

    They grow tall as a lancer
    And ask questions you can’t answer,

    And supply you with data
    About how everybody else wears lipstick
    sooner and stays up later,

    And if they are popular,
    The phone they monopular.

    They scorn the dominion
    Of their parents’ opinion,

    They’re no longer corralable
    Once they find that you’re fallible,

    But after you’ve raised them and educated them and gowned them,
    They just take their little fingers and wrap you around them.

    Being a father
    Is quite a bother,
    But I like it, rather~Ogden Nash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a wonderful poem Tom I enjoyed it

      Delete
  5. Dear Marja, I had to have the word "soliloquy" translated for me; I didn't know it. 😊
    I also find this painting fascinating. And through your poem, I became aware for the first time that people who posed for an artist, often a very, very long time ago, became immortal in a special way. And—unless they were famous—they leave us with a riddle about what kind of person they were. (Interesting that I noticed it with THIS painting and not with the Mona Lisa. I'm sure it's because of your words.) And yes: I'm even certain that you, in your own way, ARE "that kind of woman"—present, radiant, and bringing us closer to our own stars!

    Hugs and all the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/06/reisebericht-2025-von-ahornblattern-und.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thank you so much I appreciate that dear Traude

      Delete
  6. Lindo poema. Me gusto mucho. Te mando un beso y te deseo un lindo fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writing a piece based on a painting is a fun challenge, and you completely caught the soft, flowing energy of that white dress. The idea of intoxicating people with presence rather than just outward beauty is a powerful thought to leave the reader with. Your poetry group must have been thrilled with how you handled the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have captured the evocative nature of the painting very well, offering interpretation, yet leaving the door open to individual reaction. In this manner both the poem and the painting succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautifully said..."drawing people closer
    to the stars they carry within."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that last stanza, and how the woman's thoughts come through your pen. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!