Kidscorner

Friday 20 January 2012

Wow the world of wearable art

My parents had a fashion shop so I have been to Amsterdam many times with them, where they bought their new collections. At the beginning of every season there was a fashion show. I have seen many, but nothing was even remotely like WOW, the world of wearable Art show. It is held in September every year in Wellington and started in 1987 in Nelson.
It is a magnificent 2 hour show, where designers and artists from all over the world show the most magnificent designs. It is unique in the world. A show were art, fashion, theater, dance, lighting melt into  a spectacular rainbow of magic, fantasy and extravagance.
The garments below are shown at the moment at an exhibition in Canterbury museum. One thing on my bucket list is to see this show. My daughter is moving to Wellington for study and she would like to see the show as well so maybe.................



12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this marja. interesting to learn a little more about your parents. I also followed the wearable arts when it first started. Enjoy the weekend. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some of these designs in Nelson when I visited once. It looks a fabulous show, I would like to see that too. I hope you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bird is born with its outer garments intact but humans have the luxury of flights of fancy. These creative costumes are, indeed, wild works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although all are very amazing, I find the wood one incredible! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a spectacular show. I can imagine it will be quite amazing and sort of overwhelming to see. Nice to be able to see the designs on the dolls too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are remarkable Marja, There are some very talented people around..
    I hope that you are all well, and at last I get to log in on Blogger account and it doenst throw me off :-)..
    So enjoy your day Marja, and a Big Hug to you x Sue~ Dreamwalker
    http://suedreamwalker.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!
    That would be some fantastic show!
    Hope you get to see it, Marja.

    Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marja,
    Diane b (blogger) knows I am living in NZ for 18 months and sent me to your blog. We went to the WOW museum in Nelson just two weeks ago, but I was disappointed that photographs weren't allowed. It was a pretty amazing, and UNIQUE sight. We saw videos of past shows but it would be great to see in person. We also were in ChCh this past week. We have been down there four times in the last few months on assignment. This past trip, representatives from our church met with Mayor Parker (and the Mayoress) to discuss ways the church could contribute to the recovery efforts, and he graphically told us all some of the personal stories that have happened during the earthquakes. It was riveting. You all have endured so much! I'll follow your blog to see your views of NZ, and I hope you visit my blog as well. We have been to many beautiful places (aren't they all beautiful), since coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that looks very good, I would love to see the show too. Hope you are able to go. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating. I would like to see that show too. The creature boobs were a hoot!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!