Kidscorner

Wednesday 27 February 2019

Aotearoa

Aotearoa is the Maori name for New Zealand. It means land of the long white cloud
The prompt for this week at Poets United is cloud


Mount Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand. The photos of  Mount Cook (Mount Oaraki) were taken when me and Peggy walked the Hooker Valley Track a week and a half ago. It is about 4 hours drive from Christchurch. We stopped at Lake Tekapo, had a walk around and we ate lunch at Lake Pukaki. At Mt Cook we went straight to the start of the Hooker Valley Track which leads to the glacier and is roughly 3 hours return. It is getting more and more popular and the number of tourists are increasing rapidly. I understand. 

I am sad that there are a lot of problems in this country but for me Aotearoa is about nature, is about beauty at the very core. I feel very attached to it and grateful that I can go out there any time and emerge myself in it. I hope that it doesn't get destroyed as some rivers and lakes are already very polluted in NZ. Luckily we have lots of protected areas. We have about 13 national parks and many reserves.


Hooker Valley Track

Aotearoa

Aotearoa land of the long white cloud
spilled over the Canterbury planes
draped over the mountains who
raise their heads throughout the land
blessing the land with Aoraki,
son of the sky father
resting with his frozen thighs
on the wet wild scentless earth
looking over sailing icebergs
as ice crystals soften into sea
creating a canvas of turquoise

Aotearoa land of the long white cloud
invites me to its lakes
invites me to its mountains
invites me to the ocean,
cradling these intriguing islands
I observe the clouds collide
and merge in understanding
A breeze whispers to
listen to natures intelligence
born out of an ancient wisdom
Its beauty matching our hearts

Aotearoa land of the long white cloud
With a heartbeat of all that is real
with veins that fill the land with blue blood
with the skin of soft and swirling folds
with the sensual touch of the sun
sliding down the mountains, inch by inch
creating shadow and light, yin and yang
in deserted places of sacred silence
where the song of the bellbird is enough

I join the people who flock this land
on a pilgrimage to the pastures
of penetrating beauty, of preservation of life
A natural heritage of an untamed place
sold by many to the modern world






Icebergs from Aoraki (Mt Cook)


Glacier lake Pukaki with Aoraki on the background with a whiff of cloud above


Lake Benmore in the early morning


Peggy next to the church of the Good shepherd at Lake Tekapo

34 comments:

  1. Beautiful Maori names: Aoraki, Pukaki, Aotearoa!
    Yes, Nature is about beauty, and it should fully be enjoyed till it lasts, or till... we last. And yes, it can be treacherous, especially with islands, and in this era of climate anomaly.
    Your poem and pictures are a lovely tribute to 'the land of the white cloud'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful scenery in New Zealand and lovely poem, Marja. I've always wanted to visit NZ and will go as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it When you come through Christchurch you can come along for a coffee

      Delete
  3. Hi Marja - I can see why you're happy to immerse yourself in the land of Aotearoa .. it does look quite wonderful scenery - it's sad we don't seem to be able to look after our environment and protect nature somewhat better than we're doing ... but lovely photos and no wonder you are proud of it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it. Yes it is sad as we need nature more than we realise

      Delete
  4. "Aotearoa land of the long white cloud" Love this. Hope the land remains with its untainted beauty forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sumana Have to give the Maoris credit for that one though It is the name they gave to our land
      I hope the beauty remains too

      Delete
  5. WOW, Wow, wow, wow. Goodness in the place, in the poem, and in the poet's narrative voice:
    "I observe the clouds collide
    and merge in understanding
    A breeze whispers to open up
    and listen to natures intelligence . . . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan Yes I truly think nature is very intelligent

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful poem! I was mesmerized by your descriptions, your love and respect for this land. Thank you too for the pictures. How I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myrna If you see it for yourself you would too :) You are always welcome

      Delete
  7. Oh how I LOVE this....the Maori names, the SPECTACULAR beauty of the photos, and your glorious poem, the names rolling off the tongue, the land of the long white cloud. Truly, you live in such a beautiful plac. I pray it is preserved and protected. Nature is under onslaught everywhere now. I love what you say about nature's intelligence and ancient wisdom. We would be wise to listen to her and observe her ways as the aboriginal people always have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry Yes let's hope men gets wiser and quickly and changes his way

      Delete
  8. Yes, New Zealand is a most beautiful country. I have been there three times on vacation. The South Island is spectacular and it is good to meet the Maori people too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't Did you go to the South Island You are in Australia if I am right so not to far for you

      Delete
  9. A lovely legend teller like poem Marja, I love it! Those photos are breathtaking! I would love to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a stunning piece of writing and the photos are gorgeous. I hope it retains it's beauty, may it be so. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much truedessa I hope so too Has to be

      Delete
  11. The dangers of tourism to pristine country... on my bucket list though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for inviting me to your beautiful Aotearoa. As you know I have visited your country many many times and never tire of it's beauty and wonder.
    Delightful poem Marja, a fitting tribute to a beautiful country.
    Namaste
    Peggy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Peggy Your visits are always a pleasure

      Delete
  13. Wow, Marja! This is such a beautiful and heartfelt poem. Love everything about this post. Thank you for sharing your world with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what the name itself does for the tongue. I repeated it over and over, slightly rolling the Rs and thinking of clouds, while delighting in the images and imagery you've offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Magaly I love the Maori names as well My favourite word is Love - Aroha

      Delete
  15. The land of the white cloud, should remain in tact. Thank you for the background and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara I agree it should remain in tact :)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful pictures, beautiful poem, beautiful place.....may it be blessed and always be blessed...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful is your poetry Marja, and your pictures are so wonderful. Such a beautiful place to feel one's spirit soar my friend..
    Love and best wishes your way dear Marja <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!