Kidscorner

Friday 22 March 2024

In memoriam

 In memoriam card

My mum past away 2 years ago. It was Covid time and I was not able to go back to the Netherlands to say goodbye as the country was locked. That was quite hard. My mum was not the general mum. When I was young most were stay at home mums. My mum worked 6 days a week in our shop and had 4 children. So you can imagen that she couldn't really dedicate herself to us. She did the best she could with what she had. We always had a good Christmas and we went on holiday together. She was the one who always kept the family together. Later on she tried to make up for lost time. The following poem I wrote for her memoriam card.

My mum and her 4 children










In Memoriam

Clouds drift along the horizon
We wander restlessly.
a beacon has disappeared
You who showed us the way
You who brought us home
You who gave the word family power
like the sea pushes the waves
like the sky carries the birds
The water is calm now
The power has sunk
in the depth of the sea
The birds do not fly today
The air is empty without you
and filled with our tears
The sweat breath of the wind
still whispers your words
Music of a bygone era
Words that will be re-used as seeds
to grow and flourish in us
to fill the void
just like the reflection of your light
and the echo of your smile
the gift you gave when
someone brought you flowers
or when we rejoiced you
with our presence
Now there is only the rhythm of rest
in which you have descended forever

22 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute, Marja... The birds do not fly today - the sense of loss comes through vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much beauty in the melancholy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet and complete message to put in your card. I claim this phrase as favorite,
    "the gift you gave when
    someone brought you flowers."
    That give was her smile and possibly a sweet "Thank you".
    I still remember being so very sad, still am somewhat. My feeling, and yours, "I've ALWAYS had a mother and now I have none.
    Jim
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet and complete message to put in your card. I claim this phrase as favorite,
    "the gift you gave when
    someone brought you flowers."
    That give was her smile and possibly a sweet "Thank you".
    I still remember being so very sad, still am somewhat. My feeling, and yours, "I've ALWAYS had a mother and now I have none.
    Jim
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautifully written, and the feeling is palpable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. " … like the sea pushes the waves / like the sky carries the birds …" how aptly you describe the forces of nature that are our mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the heart and tears in this - especially the line - The air is empty without you - lovely poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marja - lovely poem and such an honorary tribute to your beloved mother ... I love the idea of 'Words that will be re-used as seeds - to grow and flourish ...' and then 'Now there is only the rhythm of rest - in which you have descended forever'. Beautifully told ... thank you for sharing with us ... with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. A smile can be the greatest gift. This made me think of my mother's when I'd bring her in a cut rose or bouquet of flowers from her garden.
    "The power has sunk
    in the depth of the sea
    The birds do not fly today"
    Your poem made me think of Auden's poem in memory of Yeats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was very moving. A lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The air is empty without you
    and filled with our tears" Beautiful words for a beloved mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful tribute indeed. Wonderful words of warmth, love and loss straight from your lovely heart.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. We do the best we can and pray for our families. 🩵

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's hard to lose Mother. When my mother died , two major appliances suddenly stopped working (fridge and air conditioner). I wrote in her memory prose and poems in three languages, as I had many thoughts about her that I wished to express.
    "The air is empty without you" sums up the feelings of all those who've lost their mother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No matter how old one is, it's never pleasant to be an orphan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...the lost of loved ones is often painful, but during the pandemic made those losts harder. I hope that you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "You who gave the word family power"
    A beautiful tribute to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A Lovely tribute to your Mother

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most definitely heart-felt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A heartfelt tribute undoubtedly. Mother's are always precious. Even their memory is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Straight from the heart. This is so beautifully written, a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a gorgeous poem Marja. You certainly are a wordsmith my friend. "like the sea pushes the waves, like the sky carries the birds".
    Love you mate.
    Peggy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!