Kidscorner

Friday 1 March 2024

Kindness

Rommy from Poets and Storytellers United, asked us to write poetry or prose about someone who made an impression on you as a child.

I don't have any memories of people who made an impression on me when I was a child. I can remember many after that. They had all one thing in common: kindness










Kindness

Many special people added
colour and music to the ordinary
essence of my life and turned it
into moments of magic

This shines through in
the way the song of the bus sounds
since the bus driver made me smile
under the closing curtains of clouds

This shines through in
the purple and pink hues of my spirit
after a teacher praised the fruit of my perseverance
Many promises popped up on my path

This shines through in
the way a room lights up like a wood fire
after a doctor gave me attention and care
I nestled myself in the warmth of his words

This shines through in
the way the wind makes the leaves spin
after a musician spurred me on to dance
I peeled the skin of the fruit of life and tasted joy

Spread your feathered wings of kindness
Be the hands and hearts that heal
Change the world one smile at the time
It will be the dew on the flowers of your life

Marja Blom

22 comments:

  1. I have long considered kindness the highest virtue, the best quality a person can have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindness when you least expect it is truly magical.. I remember the strangers who helped me when I fell off my scooter on a busy road several years ago...don't know their names, now faces are blurred too...but their actions still inspire. I think I needed to read your poem today! Thanks Marja...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindness and compassion Marja - so true... And so beautifully and tenderly written too - Thankyou from me, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good poem on kindness

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this line, "Change the world one smile at the time".

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrote it soulfully and it's quite true that even a moment of kindness, a smile or glance of understanding, is at the top of life's healing list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smiles are contagious and also a natural 'face lift.' Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful.

    Love this part especially:

    "the purple and pink hues of my spirit
    after a teacher praised the fruit of my perseverance
    Many promises popped up on my path"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our world needs smothering with kindness, the kindness you have shared so beautifully with us in poem form.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fully agree with your examples of kindness in the above lovely poem: a bus-driver's smile, a teacher's praise, a doctor's care, a musician's stimulating of dance , etc... We need more of it in the world. Kindness is at the top of human existence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...kindness seems to be lacking in everyday life. Pass the kindness around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very beautiful expression of the kindness you have been shown....one of your best !......Rall

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you mention the everyday, the bus driver, the teacher, the musician and doctor. The repetition. I wonder...why is it we so often remember the one who frowns?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked your run through some major boosters and the came to a help yourself with causing a smile to somone else.
    Jim
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Smiles go a long way. In school my nicknames were Grinny, Smiley, and Sad Sack. Smiles go a long way in the flirting business also. :)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this one. It left my heart warm and happy. I can't stop smiling. That's the wonderful thing about kindness. If we will it, it spreads wonderfully...

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. I really love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Little act of kindness makes the earth an Eden. Well-worded poem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely poem and a good subject. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wondrous poem Marja. Sometimes it takes only one act of kindness and caring to change a person's life.
    Namaste my dear friend
    Peggy xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!