Kidscorner

Friday, 24 July 2026

White sails fly

The prompt for Poets and Storytellers United is: We’ll invite you to return to a favorite Friday Writing prompt of the past.

Friday Writings #231: White Sails Flying













White Sails Fly

White sails fly
across the water
like whispers of peace.
But what is peace?

It is the hungry hearts
in the undergrowth,
their arms of roots
sheltering,
reaching outward,
connecting.

Sharing scones and wine,
hugs and blown kisses,
paintings and poetry
like offerings laid
on a forest altar.

And above them,
the ones who stand proud,
breasts forward,
their pride
burns through ancient wood
to warm your meal.

When they, like wolves,
prowl the shadowed edges,
we waver,
weaving purple,
pink, and pasture-green
through grey garments
to cast a gentler shade
over the world's trembling skin.

Will the grey tilt into darkness?
You already know.

So let us gather
an army of peace and love,
set out our sails,
and call the world
back into harmony.

18 comments:

  1. I love the final imagery and thought - sailing towards peace and love and harmony is a very good thing to hope for - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Back into harmony"? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely poem. Part of me loves the message you’ve offered to the world, and part of me is aware of how fragile harmony in the animal kingdom is — but even so, I remain hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindíssima poesia e pena que os "lobos famintos" fazem de tudo para a paz do mundo tirar!
    Adorei! beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful last thought even if seemingly impossible to maintain. In a world where so many wolves are prowling, many more are striving and praying for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sailing in the water... there is nothing to compare... finding peace and harmony.... one interaction at a time

    ReplyDelete
  7. set out our sails,
    and call the world
    back into harmony.

    A wonderful close Marja! A positive thought. I would wish it for everyone.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you have used colours to denote human aspirations, emotions, desires but it's intriguing to note that you have not referred to white for peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is intriguing lol and a very valid remark Thanks

      Delete
  9. Sadly, with our human proclivity for violence, greed and hatred of the other, it is never going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ⛵ Your sails carry such a tender vision -- weaving colors, hugs, and offerings into a call for peace. The closing lines feel like a rallying cry, gentle yet powerful, reminding us harmony is worth striving for.
    Beautiful, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes indeed let us strive for peace and harmonyl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely words as usual and yes lets hope for harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love how this poem balances such a soft, cozy vibe with this quiet urge to stand together against the heavier, gloomier parts of the world. It paints this gorgeous picture of small, comforting moments. like sharing wine and poetry or just tending to the undergrowth, while showing how community and love can weave a little warmth right back into things when the edges start feeling cold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An amazing poem. I’m impressed.

    Best regards, and this time I invite you to take a look at the portraits I create. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "we waver,
    weaving purple,
    pink, and pasture-green
    through grey garments
    to cast a gentler shade
    over the world's trembling skin."

    I love this metaphor!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!