Kidscorner

Friday, 9 October 2026

Noise

Poets and Storytellers United asked us to write about a type of noise, literal or metaphorical.









Noise

We talked,
exchanged polite lines,
but beneath the words
a noise was hiding,

like the hum of a washing machine
where shirts turn
behind a glass window.

They can't escape.
They tumble and shake,
you can only sense
the colours they carry:

the black of anger,
the grey of disappointment,
the green of envy,
thoughts left unspoken,
swept under the carpet.

The noise of small red irritations
crawling like worms
through the wet insides of us.

I tied a ribbon around it
and let life be messy
let it be noisy.

Then I stepped outside,
closed the door behind me,
and breathed the crisp air.

Sky vapour still rested
on the flowers.

In the silence,
I softened.

15 comments:

  1. How clever and wonderful to capture all that meaning of life within the metaphor of doing the laundry - it is so good to have you back and to enjoy your words again - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jae. Brilliant metaphor, so well expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the washing-machine metaphor. May it wash away all the disappointment and agony, leaving behind only what is positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A metaphor for its time! Hopefully, we can all step outside and close the door behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful metaphor reminding me of your earlier poem about a tea towel. There truly is something about the muddle of laundry that describes our inner selves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noise is pollution and silence is golden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great treatment of the "noise inside"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was right there with the shirts in the dryer and thought about them for the whole poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Then I stepped outside,
    closed the door behind me,
    and breathed the crisp air.

    Bless you Marja! It is a good idea to let it be and get faraway. it wears itself out !

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever, dear Marja! Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me gusto tu poema. Buen fin de semana. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes, the mundane provides the inspiration. Great write Marja 👏

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to softening in the silence

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!